Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Happy Groundhog's Day



I just love Groundhog's Day! It sounds like we're going to have another 6 weeks of winter and to celebrate, its going to snow here today. Me and Phil go back quite a few years. I have so many fond and fun memories of Groundhog's Day.

In my youngest years, I can remember the fantastic birthday parties together with my brother, 2 years older and his birthday is 5 days later than mine. In the photo above, I'm the one standing up.

I'll never forget how my elderly Grandaddy would call me up and ask me if I saw my shadow! The funny thing was, I was the only grandchild he would call on their birthday. I didn't know that for many years.

I remember when I was about 12 years old, my aunt took me on a bus ride to Clarendon. I thought we were going shopping and she thought she was going to surprise me and take me to get a permanent. She had waited until we got on the bus to tell me. Well, we ended up shopping because there was no way I was getting a permanent. She was special Aunt.

One of my most precious memories is of my Dad bringing me 40 long stemmed red roses when I turned 40. Boy do I miss Mom & Dad!

There was the first time in about 20 years that my husband and I took off, without kids for a weekend trip to celebrate our birthdays. His birthday was just 10 days ago. Since then we've tried to keep up the tradition.

There's so many more birthday celebrations to remember like lunches with friends and sweet phone calls from family and friends and who can forget the excitement on the face of your little ones when they hand you your birthday card.

Looking back at all of my fond memories of Groundhog's Day, I've realized the birthday memories were never about the gifts I received (although they were all nice and I wish I could remember all of them), but the memories are all about the moments and people I hold dear. :)

5 comments:

Meadowbrook Cabin Primitives said...

Debbie,
May you have a very Happy Birthday !
Pass the cake !
Hugs,
Linda

Bittersweet Pastimes said...

Thank you Linda! Everything was wonderfult, except the snow! Hugs-
Deb

~Tonya said...

Well Happy Birthday, Debbie!! I hope your day was wonderful and yes, once it is said and done, all we have is our memories. Those we hold dear in our hearts.

I enjoyed your stories about your birthday, groundhog's day and your brother :)

Have a great weekend.
~Tonya

Isn't it nice to have your taxes out of the way....now you can relax ;)

Tallowberry Primitives and FolkArt said...

A belated happy birthday, Deb. I hope it was a good one for you.
My niece is a groundhog day baby, too.

Are you tired of snow yet?
~Diane

Bittersweet Pastimes said...

Hi Tonya! Thank you for wishing me a Happy B'Day. You're not kidding about those taxes! I'm so glad they're out of my hands now.

Oh Diane I'm sick snow. This has been a snowy and colder than usual winter. It won't end soon enough. Awwwe tell your niece Happy Belated B'day from another ground hog. :)

Take care friends-
Deb